Friday, October 24, 2008

Maybe a little Mean

So, my new Besties and I at work have made up nick-names for some of our fellow new employees. There are about 40 of us, so there of course are going to be those in the training class that may have some quirks and may be a bit annoying. Now I know this may sound mean, but when you are listening to lectures for 8 hours a day you tend to use nick naming as a mechanism to stay some what sane in an insane environment.

First of all we have who we like to call "Starbucks." He is a middle aged man who likes to make as many comments as possible in class. We call him "Starbucks" because in the morning, at every break, and lunch, this man get Starbucks Iced Coffees (Vente, of Course). He doesn't just get one at a time either, he gets two. We kept a tally, added it up and totalled the cost of his addiction. He spends roughly $125 a week...That my friends is quite ridiculous!

Next we have Ms. Los Angeles. This woman is probably in her 60's and has just moved from LA. I think she said she has been here about 4 weeks. LA had the same job in California and every single speaker that comes in gets a lecture about how she is from Los Angeles and how things were done in their county department. She also says "uh, huh," under her breath with every comment the instructors make. At the end of a long day, I want to pull my hair out!

At the table next to us is whom we like to refer to as "Puerto Rico." For obvious reasons we call him this because he is from Puerto Rico. He also just recently retired from being a New York Police officer. He likes interrogations and making false accusations. He also talks really loud and makes a lot of inappropriate comments. He has formed a liking to me and calls me by my last name as if I was one of his "bros" on his softball team.

My favorite is "Olympic Gardens." This is the name of an "exotic dancing establishment" in Las Vegas. The poor girl really fits the part, and in order to not be too mean, I will leave it at that.

Handle Bar J, is a man from Louisiana. He actually makes me laugh a lot. He likes to impulsively yell out silly comments in his gentile southern drawl. He has a great mustache and wears a kick ass members only leather jacket to class...Oh, and he is a bowlegged cowboy.

Lastly, a boy that is near and dear to our hearts. We just call him by his real name. He is a sweet boy, soft spoken and walks with a limp. He told us his best quality is that he loves people and can get along with everyone. On his breaks he listens to rock music on his i-pod and moves along to the beat. I would like to put him in my pocket. He is great. (So, I am not mean about everyone).

I am an observer by nature. It can really be considered one of my downfalls. I have spent countless hours in my life just watching those around me and trying to figure them out. I should probably be concentrating more in class, but I get distracted easily. Don't judge me, I don't mean to be harsh, but without my observations, I would be way to bored out of my mind.

No comments: