Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend Festivities

On Friday night, my husband and I decided to check out the Las Vegas Greek Food Festival. Wow, am I ever glad we went!

First of all, I had no idea what a large Greek community Las Vegas had, and I am so glad I was able to find out. Ever since my in-laws took me to a Greek restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, I have been hooked. It is now my favorite cuisine and my husband and I have spent many weekends trying out all the Greek restaurants we could find. I have even learned to make a pretty mean Baklava.

Going to the Festival proved to be a really good idea. It was only $5 each to get in and although you had to pay for your food, it was not a bad price. They had live entertainment and local artisans selling their goods.

My Hubby and I started out with the Gyro tent and then got ourselves some Greek wine. They didn't have any RETSINA and we decided to pass on the Ouzo. Retsina is a really good wine if you enjoy a pine bark after taste and a very dry wine. This wine has been made for over 2000 years. Before the invention of impermeable glass bottles, oxygen caused many wines to spoil within the year. Pine resin helped keep air out, while at the same time infusing the wine with resin aroma. Ouzo is a very strong Liquor that tastes strongly of liquorice. This is a favorite of my in-laws.
Anyway, back on subject, while drinking our wine, we got a kick out of people watching. I dont know if any of you out there have ever peopled watched at a greek gathering, but it is so great. Just the combination of big personalities and big families is enough to fascinate anyone.

Desert was a puffed pastry (pretty much the same taste as Indian fry bread) soaked in honey. It was pretty out of control and I have been craving it all day.

Here is a pic of my gyro...


Saturday we were on a Festival High and decided to check out the Hot Air Balloon Festival (the Balloon-a-palooza) WHAT A BUST! First of all, when I got to a balloon festival, I want to see Balloons! I got none of that!

The festival was more of a small carnival with a circus and rides, really. I do have to say that I ate a Corn Dog...which I hated as a child but now find them irresistible...

Oh, and we got a funnel cake with hot fudge and whipped cream on top...I almost passed into a sugar coma after that one.

There was a really sad cover band. They attempted some DMB but sadly were pretty awful.

I enjoyed the funeral wagon that greeted us as we walked in...



That is always a nice welcome...


We pretty much posed for a picture, stuffed our faces and left. It was a bummer.

So, all in all, I would recommend the Greek Food Festival for next year, and make sure there are balloons around if you drive out to N. Las Vegas for a "Balloon Festival."

Have a good Monday!

No comments: